ISO/IEC 6523 Registration Authority
ISO/IEC 6523 series of standards specify International Code Designators (ICDs), which are used to refer to organization identification schemes. An organization identification scheme provides:
- an identifier table;
- a description of those identifiers;
- what those identifiers reference; and
- a presentation format of those identifiers.
An organization (such as a government entity) might issue identifiers for heathcare providers in some country. A healthcare provider requests a healthcare identifier from this organization such that they may partake efficiently and expeditiously in healthcare transactions by using this assigned healthcare identifier. Furthermore, the organization uses an identifier format "AA-NNNNNNNN-C" where
- "AA" is a two letter province/state code within the country;
- "NNNNNNNN" is an eight digit numeric code within the provide/state;
- "C" is a numeric check digit.
This type of "healthcare provider" organization indentification scheme might be used in a broader context of data interchange.
The ISO/IEC 6523 standards specify:
- ISO/IEC 6523-1 (Part 1): the descriptive data associated with each organization identifier scheme (name, purpose, identifier structure, identifier presentation format, etc.)
- ISO/IEC 6523-2 (Part 2): the process Registration Authority uses to accept/reject applications, assign a 4-digit ICD code for accepted applications.
HOW TO APPLY
The following are the main steps:
- (1) Contact the Registration Authority at the E-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application for an ICD.
- (2) Complete the application. Please contact the Registration Authority with any questions.
- (3) Ask a Sponsoring Authority (a national body, e.g., ANSI, BSI, etc.) to endorse your application. The Registration Authority might be able to offer suggestions on finding a Sponsoring Authority.
- (4) Submit your application and payment of 475.00 USD. Do NOT send payment until Registration Authority requests payment.
- (5) After receipt of payment, the Registration Authority will issue the ICD certificate within 2-3 business days.
Farance Inc. serves as the Registration Authority on behalf of ISO/IEC.
CURRENT ICD LIST
A list of the currently registered ICDs are available in the following document.
[web page updated: 2023-03-01]